Sunday 29 November 2015
Another day of shockingly bad weather. Even Friz said that the wind was “outrageous”. There was no way Greg and I were walking anywhere today!
The Aberaeron tide was worryingly high and Friz was rehearsing his role as disaster coordinator in case the harbour wall was breached. The wind was predicted to be >60 mph and it was blowing the water over the sea wall on the North side of the harbour.
I joined a few other people who had come to see the weather in action; sort of ‘weather rubberneckers’. It was body-battering on the shingle beach!
Greg had to drive home, right past my front door. It was too good an opportunity to miss and I decided to postpone walking until 2016. Pushing on through the poor weather would mean missing too much scenery and great views so I determined to wait until the weather improves.
On the long drive home I had time to contemplate all the chores I needed to do at home and when the weather might improve to a point that I want to restart my walk (might be as late as March 2016 I guess). This is a departure from the original plan but seems like a sensible one so long as I can afford to extend my gap year.
To recap, the new plan is to enjoy being at home and restart walking from Aberystwyth sometime (tbd) in 2016.